Cougars Roll Over the Buccaneers at the Pirate Ship

Early in the first the Cougars applied lots of pressure and Colton Witter got a shot on net from the point that Bucs net minder Austin Dendl stopped but Bryce Irwin was able to bat the rebound and the puck then went to Brandon McClintick who finished the play with a goal at 2:21. The Cougars controlled most of the play in the period and were again rewarded at 16:55 when Bryce Irwin sent Evan Easton into the Bucs zone. His shot went high and off the back glass to Jonathon Esposito who put the puck into the back of the net. Late in the period the Nanaimo squad put some good pressure on Cougars goalie Brett Anderson but Anderson was able to shut the door. The period finished with the Cougars outshooting the Bucs 15-11.

In the second the Cougars turned up the pressure a bit more and drew a couple of penalties by the frustrated Nanaimo team including a 5 minute major for Hit to the Head. The PP didn’t click but the sustained pressure paid off late in the period with the Cougars getting 3 more goals. At 13:56 it was Cougars captain Cameron Lesergent putting the puck in the net with assists going to Jackson Egan and Hark Gill. The goal was scored 6 seconds after the major expired. Next it was a great steal by Dylan Jessa in the neutral zone and he charged into the Bucs zone on a 2 on 1 with Desmond Arthurs. Jessa made a perfect pass that Arthurs tipped into the back of the net. This was at 15:29. The final goal of the period went to Spencer Golden at 16:20. Colten Witter passed the puck off the half boards to the side of the net where Irwin took the puck and passed it to Golden behind the net. Golden skated out and ripped the puck high into the net from a tight angle. The period finished with shots 20-7 in favour of the Cougars.

In the final frame it was more of the same. Jackson Egan took the puck into the corner in the Nanaimo zone. Marshall Brown helped out and got the puck to Hark Gill at the point and his shot eluded Dendl and found the back of the net at 5:34. Finally the power play clicked when Lesergent took a point shot that went over the net and bounced to Easton on the right boards. Easton passed to Trey Anderson on the left side and he took his time and wristed the shot home at 13:20.
Final shots were 47-23 in favour of the Cougars. Anderson wasn’t as busy as Dendl in the net but made some outstanding saves to get his second shutout in a row.

The players of the game were Brendan Rogers for the Bucs and Bryce Irwin for the Cougars.

Irwin and Easton will join the Cougars Coaching staff on Sunday at the Ladner Leisure Centre when the VIJHL Allstars play the PJHL Allstars.

The Cougars next game is January 29th at the Q Centre at 7pm vs the Westshore Wolves. This is a makeup game from October 12th.

Follow the Cougars on Twitter , Facebook and Instagram.