2 Different Cougar teams on consecutive nights!

Thursday night the Cougars put in a pretty lackluster performance and ended up on the wrong side of a 2-1 score. The best Cougar on the night was between the pipes and Owen Sikkes stopped 25 of 27 shots he faced making some outstanding saves to give his team a chance to win.

At the other end Generals goalie James Brendeland was a little busier and stopped 31 of 32 to secure the win for his team. Late in the first Mateo Giomo sent Greyson Weme down the right wing against the flow and he hit a charging Brady Kay with a perfect pass in the slot and Kay made no mistake redirecting the puck past Sikkes for a 1-0 lead.


Early in the second with Josh Martin in the box the Generals captain Landon Dziadyk put a rebound into the net to make it a 2-0 lead for the visitors. At 13:26 of the same period the Cougars found a little life. Mateo Albinati passed the puck up to Tyler Vanuden who sped into the Oceanside zone and carried the puck to the back of the net before feeding Booker Chacalias in the slot. Chacalias doesn’t miss from that spot and the Cougars hit the scoresheet making it 2-1.

There was no more scoring even after the Cougars pulled their goalie late in the game.

Players of the game were the 2 netminders who deserved the honour.

21 hours later the Cougars took the ice as visitors at Pearkes Arena in Saanich to take on the Braves. With little more than 3 km separating the 2 teams rinks the game was played on a night when the other 3 games in the league were cancelled due to the snow and highway conditions.

It was a much better showing for the Cougars as they played a hard fought game against a team that was hungry for a home win. The Cougars never trailed in the game but never led by more than 1 goal. At 13:11 of the first Foster Martin fed Matt Clark and he beat Saanich starter and former Cougar Anderson Violette to make it 1-0. Just under 5 minutes later Braves defenceman Reid Lindsay took a pass from Gavin Grewal and let a shot go from the point that beat Cougars starter Cam Stevenson high blocker side. Cam didn’t see the puck until it passed by his head as he had a couple of players blocking his view.

There was frantic action back and forth through the second until the 18:01 mark when former Brave Cameron LeSergent found the back of the net. Assisting on the play were Tyler Vanuden and Spencer Golden. The Cougars held the one goal lead for a whole :37 until Ryan Strange beat Stevenson from Zach Guerra.

Early in the third the Cougars Grady Birk and the Braves Jackson Egan collided away from the play with Egan going to the ice. It was incidental contact but the Braves Kyle Mace didn’t see it that was and lost his cool and ended up being ejected from the game. This resulted in the Cougars getting a power play and at the 2:15 mark Booker Chacalias scored from Vanuden and Mateo Albinati to again take a 1 goal lead. This held up until 6:23 of the third when Dale McCabe scored short handed from Jacob King. No more scoring happened so the game went to overtime.

Nothing was solved in the first overtime which was 4 on 4. Second overtime period goes to 3 on 3 and the Cougars wizard of overtime came through again. Booker Chacalias took a pass from Marshall Brown in his own end and fed the puck up to Ryan Okino on the left wing then raced down the ice and took a pass from Okino and beat Violette with a backhand deke to win the game. In 7 overtime wins Chacalias has 4 of the goals and an assist. Definately worth betting on Booker when overtime hits.

Players of the game were Anderson Violette for the Braves and Booker Chacalias for the Cougars.

The Cougars don’t get much time to rest as the Nanaimo Buccaneers are scheduled for a Sunday match up at the Arch at 3:30. See you there or tune in to Hockey TV.

Follow the Cougars on Twitter , Facebook and Instagram.