Cougars Stay Perfect in Overtime!

Cougars Stay Perfect in Overtime!
The Victoria Cougars came out on top of the Kerry Park Islander 3-2 in overtime in a highly contested affair.

The teams would skate to a scoreless tie after 1 period with good chances at both ends of the ice. The Cougars Foster Martin rang a shot off the cross bar. The Cougars found the iron at least 3 more times in the game. They just seemed to be a little off on their aim in this game. The Islanders had 2 power plays in the first and outshot the Cougars 9-6 but were unable to beat Cougars starting net minder Owen Sikkes.
In the second the Islanders’ Riley Windsor took a hooking penalty and soon after Romaeo D’Intinio took a tripping penalty giving the Cougars a 5 on 3 advantage for a minute and 19 seconds. The Cougars pressed hard and it looked like Booker Chacalias was going to put one in back door but Islanders goalie Charles-Oliver Lepage would have none of it and made a fantastic pad save. Chacalias took the rebound behind the net and passed to Cameron LeSergent and he put it in the back of the net to make it 1-0 at 4:10. Marshall Brown had the second assist on the goal. The Cougars had the balance of the play in the period but The Islanders did manage to put one past Sikkes against the flow at 17:19 when Logan Furkalo made a centering pass which a Cougars defender got his stick on and made a perfect deflection between Sikkes’ pads to tie the score. Isaak Leik got the assist on this goal. The period ended with the teams tied 1-1 and the Cougars outshooting the Islanders 19-11.

Early in the third the Islanders got a turnover and created a 2 on 1 with Josh Parkin speeding down the right wing. He had a teammate heading for the net and Sikkes thought Parkin was going to pass and came off the post a little. That was just what Josh was looking for and he beat the net minder high glove side with a perfect shot. The goal came at 1:40 with Cole Amado picking up the helper. As the period wore on the Cougars were stymied time and time again either by Lepage or their own inability to hit the net. A number of slap shots were sent just wide of the net.
The Cougars kept pressing and weren’t about to be denied. At 16:58 Marshall Brown found the back of the net with helpers to Tyler Vanuden and Kevan McBean. Play was frantic back and forth the teams ended up in a 2-2 tie after 60 minutes.
You could tell that the Cougars meant business in the 4 on 4 first overtime period when they started with 3 forwards, Chacalias, Bryce Irwin and Brown along with the magician on the back end McBean. The puck was dropped and the Cougars took it right to the net with Booker being stopped point blank by Lepage. On the ensuing faceoff the Cougars controlled and the puck was turned over. Kerry Park tried to clear the zone but Irwin made a great play to keep it in. The Cougars pressed and Irwin who was all over the place all night got a shot on goal, Brown got the rebound and passed to Chacalias who put it away for his second point of the game and is now the points leader for the league at 18 goals 20 assists for 38 points. 2 more than the Islanders’ Evan Easton Who was held off the score sheet tonight.

Not much rest for the Cougars as they hit the road early Friday for the long ride up to Campbell River to take on the Arch Rival Storm team in a showdown for first place. Whoever wins will be in sole possession of the top spot in the VIJHL.
Next Tuesday the Cougars travel to Mill Bay to take on these same Kerry Park Islander team and then Thursday are back home to take on the Saanich Braves. Game time at the Arch is 7pm.

Follow the Cougars on Twitter , Facebook and Instagram.