Cougars take 5 of 6 points

Two division rivals in a row. Westshore and Peninsula. Both teams don’t like the Cougars much. Westshore was up first. In the Q centre on Wednesday night the Wolves played host and almost stole the show late. The Cougars were outshot 13-6 in the first period and both teams went into the break scoreless. The second period saw the Cougars jump out to a lead. Thanks to the Cougars veteran Matt Berryman scoring twice the boys from Victoria looked good heading into the third with momentum on their side and a two goal lead. One of the many hockey idioms is that the two goal lead is the worst lead. It proved to be true in this case. Two goals 5:29 apart in the first half of the third saw the Wolves tie the game and shift the momentum back their way. With Westshore poised to take the fight to the Cougars in OT, Blake Bentham took an ill time Kneeing penalty very late in the third period. With the Cougars dangerous power play going to work in the extra frame it only took 47 seconds for McBean to bury the game winner and give the Cougars 2 of a possible 3 points.

Next up was the Panthers Friday night. This game looked to be more challenging. Peninsula has been dynamite at home as of late. On top of that the Cougars were short some of their most potent weapons. Mateo Albinati was out with injury and Matt Berryman and Cam Stevenson were called up this weekend to play with the Powell River Kings of the BCHL. Owen Sikkes got the call to start and he was deadly. Making 31 saves most of which came in the second half of the game. Both goaltenders were solid as a matter of fact. Former Cougar Connor McKillop collected player of the game for the Panthers. The second period of this contest got a little chippy seeing Gajda take several ill-advised penalties. Slew-Footing, Grabbing the Face-Mask, Fighting and an Instigator saw him exit the game early. While the Cougars had lots of power play chances they were not able to capitalize. It was the stellar play of the their 5on5 that gave them the edge. The Panthers took the lead in the third on a Lingard goal, but only 1:09 later the Cougars took it back. Then at 12:15 of the third the Cougars took the lead for good on the goal from Chacalias. A hard hitting, chippy,  gritty affair as usual. They play each other again on November 30th.

Next up for the Cougars is a home game against Saanich on Thursday, 7pm at the Arch.

Follow the Cougars on Twitter , Facebook and Instagram.